Scala Developer (Remote)
We are a diverse team from around the world on a mission to empower video creators to share their stories with everyone, and we want your help!
Join us as a Scala Developer and help us develop existing microservices and create new features!
This role is a bit unique. As part of our growing engineering team, you will mostly focus on porting existing Ruby on Rails services to Scala. This project will take from 4 to 6 months. When the port is complete, your responsibilities will shift to building and improving our new Scala API & Data Pipelines.
We are a remote company and our team works from wherever they want. That means you must be self-motivated to succeed. If that sounds great to you and you’re interested in empowering video creators, you’ll fit right in.
What you will do:
- Take ownership of services that you are working on.
- Migration of RoR business logic to Scala.
- Take the initiative to resolve product issues.
- Improve project architecture with the goal of increasing quality.
- Help teammates with brainstorming sessions, technical design discussions, and code reviews (we highly appreciate all sort of improvements).
- Write readable, testable, maintainable code.
What technologies do we use:
- Scala — Cats, FS2, http4s, ZIO, izumi, doobie
- AWS — EKS, S3, SQS
- Databases — PosgreSQL, MongoDB, DynamoDB,
- Other useful things — kubernetes, docker, github
What we are looking for:
- Strong understanding of REST API / Microservices concepts and best practices.
- Understanding of SOLID principles.
- Experience working on at least one large Scala application.
- Experience working with a variety of databases, especially PostgreSQL, MongoDB and DynamoDB.
- Effective project and time management skills.
- Creative problem solvers who take the initiative to improve products.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Remote teams require things be written down and communicated clearly and kindly.
Other things to know:
- We are a small, remote team in different time zones and communicate with a variety of tools through the day. You should feel comfortable in this situation.
- Sometimes we meet up! You can expect to travel once per year for a company retreat. (We visited Spain together last year!)
- We want to be the best platform for video creators. Everything we do is to build trust with our users and help them improve at their craft.
- We expect team members to run their own projects. This involves writing out specs, preparing project milestones, committing to a timeline, and providing weekly status updates.
- Projects are run transparently. Everyone is able to view the status of any project at any time and ask questions or lend a hand.
- We match or exceed market salary in the country you live in.
- We offer a flexible work schedule where you decide which hours to work. We expect an average commitment of 40 hours per week.
- We offer a generous vacation policy of taking time when you need it. Most team members take 4–5 weeks of time off per year.
- We support professional development and will pay for relevant courses and conferences.
- This is a full-time role and we are not open to short-term contracts.
- Our hiring process involves the following: Application, phone conversation, follow-up phone conversation to discuss the project, full-time offer.
We ask that you include a personal letter with your application. In this letter, please tell us why you think you’re the right person for this role, what you think about the migration of old systems to new technologies, why you’re interested in taking this position, and tell us about any remote work experience you have.
vidIQ does not work with recruiting agencies and strives to work with each candidate one-on-one through the hiring process. We will respect your time availability if you are currently employed.
vidIQ provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants, regardless of race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, or sexual orientation.
If you think you would thrive in this environment, we would love to hear from you. Please apply!